HOW MUCH WILL MY TRIP TO MITS COST?
PREPARATION AND TRAVEL EXPENSES
- Cost: $65/night USD per person. Students receive a $100 discount. This covers the following:
- Nairobi Airport pick up upon arrival
- Housing in Kamulu (with bedding, pillows and towels)
- Meals at our facility
- Chai (tea) time at 4pm every day (Kenyan custom)
- Transportation to and from Eastleigh, or on MITS-specific business (not recreational trips, such as shopping)
- Airport drop off at end of trip
- Trip Insurance
- Please submit payment here at least two months before arriving to Nairobi.
PREPARATION AND TRAVEL EXPENSES
- Approximate cost: $150 USD
- Approximate processing time: 4-6 weeks
- If you already have a passport
- Verify that the passport will not expire within six months of your departure
- Make sure you have one full blank page for your visa
- Make a copy of the passport to carry with you as you travel
- East African Visa (Single Entry)
- Cost: $51 USD
- This must be purchased online before your trip for those 17 years and older.
- Background Check
- Cost: $20 USD
- We require all visitors to complete a background check. A background check with us is good for 5 years.
- Immunizations and Malaria Medication
- We require all visitors to MITS to be fully vaccinated of an approved COVID-19 vaccine.
- Suggested: Approximate total cost: $250 - $500
- Check Center for Disease Control website (www.cdc.gov) for most up to date suggested vaccinations.
- Yellow Fever
- If you are traveling directly between the US and Kenya (airport layovers are okay), you will NOT need to provide proof of a yellow fever vaccination.
- If you plan to exit Kenya and enter Uganda or any other yellow fever risk country, and then re-enter Kenya, you WILL need to provide proof of a yellow fever vaccination upon re-entry to Kenya. This is strictly enforced.
- There are 3 common malaria medications, all of which require a prescription.
- Doxycycline (cheapest)
- For the sake of example, a typical visitor to MITS gets vaccinated for COVID-19, typhoid, yellow fever, Hepatitis A and B, polio, tetanus and meningitis. He or she will also take malaria meds during their stay. Typhoid medication is also available in a pill form.
- Roundtrip Airfare
- Approximate cost: $800 to $2,400 USD, depending on the time of year and the airline
- Once you have booked your flights, send itinerary to Christian: email@example.com
- International travelers are usually allowed to check up to 2 bags for free.
- Check your airline website for maximum number of bags AND max weight of each bag. Some airlines use kgs, some use lbs. Overweight bags will incur an extra fee.
- Think twice before paying extra to bring an overweight or additional bag. Many things can be purchased nowadays in Nairobi, sometimes cheaper than in the states.
- Carry-on luggage is defined as one carry-on and one personal item. The carry-on must fit in the overhead bins and comply with the carry-on dimension standards of your airline.
- Travel Money (optional)
- For purchasing meals in transit beyond what is provided in flight
- Total cost: $500-$1500 per person for a 3 day, 2 night trip
- What you pay for safari usually covers your transportation, room and a lot of delicious food (think of it as a cruise ship on the Masai Mara). Drinks (sodas, bottled water) are NOT included in the cost of your safari. Bring about 200 KSH per drink.
- Bring additional money with you for gratuities.
- MITS would love to help you in scheduling and booking your safari. Contact Christian for more information.
- Transport to and from the airport and into Eastleigh on MITS business is included in your mission trip fee, but recreational visits to Nairobi are not.
- Fuel costs are paid out of pocket every time a trip into town is necessary and vary, depending on which vehicle is driven and how far.